CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: 2017 MES Student Paper Award
The MES Student Paper Award
The Middle East Section requests submissions for our Student Paper Award. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. The winner will receive a prize of $500, plus a chance to summarize the award winning paper in AN and at the 2017 AAA meeting in Washington, DC. Papers should be no longer than 10,000 words (not including notes and bibliography) and must have been completed no earlier than January 1, 2016. Student paper prize submissions should be emailed to Sa’ed Atshan ([email protected]) – and the subject line must say “MES Student Prize.” The paper should include a cover page with the name of the professor and class for which the paper was written and email addresses for both the student and professor.
The deadline is May 15, 2017.
- 2016 Student Paper Prize Winner: Noga Malkin, Georgetown University, for “My Brother’s Keeper: The Double Experience of Refugee Aid Workers.” Honorable Mention: Kelda Jamison, University of Chicago, for “Hefty Dictionaries in Incomprehensible Tongues: Commensurating Code and Language Community in Turkey.”
- 2015 Student Paper Prize Winner: Valerie Giesen, Columbia University, for “‘At Least I’ve Done Something!’ Living with Integrity: Ethical Engagements in Israel/Palestine.”
- 2014 Student Paper Prize Winner: Zachary Cuyler, Georgetown University, for “‘The Invasion of the Desert’: Expertise, Nationalism, and the Development of Egypt’s Western Desert, 1954-61.” Honorable Mention: Mathew Gagne, Toronto, for “The Many Scenes of Queer Damascus.”
- 2013 Student Paper Prize Winner: Jess Bier, for “The Colonizer in the Computer: The British and Israeli Influence on Palestinian Authority Cartography in the West Bank.”
- 2012 No Prize Awarded
- 2011 Student Paper Prize Winner: Elif Babül, for “‘Smells Like Translation’: Pedagogies of Human Rights and Transnational Standardization in Turkey.” Honorable mention: Dorothée Kellou.
2010 Student Paper Prize Winner: Rosi Greenburg, for “Cultural Boycott: A Study of (Anti-) Normalization in the Palestinian Art World.” Honorable Mention: Natalia K. Suit.
2009 Student Paper Prize Winner: Canay Ozden, for “The Wardrobe Republic.” Honorable Mention: Jeremy Walton.
2008 Student Paper Prize Winner: Suncem Kocer, for “Media Production and Transpolitics.” Honorable Mention: Sophia Stamatopoulou-Robbins.
2007 Annual Student Paper Prize: Ali Scotten for “Magic and Inter-Communal Relations in Sasanian Iraq: The Case of the Incantation Bowls.” Honorable Mention: Berna Yazici.
2006 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Devon Liddell, for “Celebrity Body, Qur’anic Propriety: Beauty and Respectability in a Changing Cairo.”
2005 No Prize Awarded
2004 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Lori Allen, “Suffering through a National Uprising: The Cultural Politics of Violence, Victimization and Human Rights in Palestine”
2003 No Prize Awarded
2002 No Prize Awarded
2001 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Andrew M. Gardner, for “Political Ecology, Causation and the Bedouin of Saudi Arabia.”